MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, February 15, 2010

No Sweat

This morning I took a spin class. Not only that, but I actually got to my bike more than 20 minutes early so I ended up riding for 67 minutes. And, I really pounded the bike today. Top HR was 179; average was high 140s.

The instructor is great; my favorite at my new gym. (Unfortunately, she only teaches on Mondays and Fridays at 9:30 so the only time I get to take her class is when I'm off or work from home.) She also recognizes that I am a serious rider (not saying much compared to most of the chevra that attends this class) and often encourages me to let it rip during particularly difficult segments. And, at the end of each ride she walks around the class and challenges each rider to really let loose for about 30 seconds.

When she walked by me this morning, she said, "Gee, if I worked as hard as you, I'd have a pool of sweat around me."

Until she said that, it hadn't really occurred to me. But, now that she mentioned it, I have to agree that it's true; I don't really sweat much any more. I don't know why. Two possible explanations. The room is pretty cool and I wear a bandana that catches some of the sweat.

But most spin classes are held in cool rooms and I've been wearing a shmata for years so that doesn't explain it.

The only other difference from before is that I'm 7 pounds lighter than I was before my recent surgery. Why would that be so significant? It wasn't that I was heavy before and now I'm light. I've been very thin for years; just not this skinny.

Any doctors out there care to venture an explanation? I'm stumped.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Jendeis said…

    Not a doctor, but I remember reading that those who are physically fit have really efficient cooling systems. Therefore, their bodies take a long time before they start sweating.

    (This may be completely wrong, but it's what I remember). :)

     
  • At 3:29 AM, Blogger OOS said…

    What a nice pleasent post.

    Dad- I never bought into your claim that the blog's quality has deteriorated over the years.

    But if the best thing you can find to blog about is your sweat patterns...

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    OOS

    Ouch.

    But, fair point.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Despite not sitting on the bench throughout a whole hockey game, OYS would still walk away dry. I didn't know that sweat patterns are genetic.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Anonymous megapixel said…

    when i exercise, I dont sweat at all!
    p.s. I am a swimmer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home