MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, April 17, 2005

How Sad

My last post elicited a number of interesting comments. I asked whether people could name educators who had a lasting impact on their lives. I meant a positive impact. Most of the commentors had no such mentors. Many comments were about Jewish educators who had negative impacts (sometime incredibly negative and destructive impacts).

I am flattered that Yael Unterman, who wrote the essay that first brought this important question to my attention, took the time to comment on the post. She also offered to send the article to anyone who emails her. Her email address is in her comment (the 29th comment).

Yael Unterman's article should be required reading for anyone involved in Jewish education. It first appeared in a book called "Wisdom from All My Teachers: Challenges and Initiatives in Contemporary Torah Education", a compilation of essays on Jewish education (many of which are very important; some of which are gobbledygook) edited by Jeffrey Saks and Susan Handelman. Anyone who is serious about Jewish Education should read the entire book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home