MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hockey Mishigas

Last night I attended my final regular season hockey game. It was the rematch of OYS's team against Crosstown Rival (CR).

I got to the game erly and was watching CR warm up. Except something was off. Guys were shooting around in other players' uniforms. They had all switched jerseys!

What was up with that? Besides being unimaginably gross (I will let you in on a secret: Most of the boys on the hockey team don't wash their uniforms all season long. That's why it smells like an elephant's behind in an all-boys high school gym), what's pshat? Team unity? I don't get it. (In any event, alas, it didn't work; OYS's team won the game 3-2).

OYS played a good game, scoring his team's first, game-tying goal towards the end of the first period and playing pretty tight defense the rest of the way. He can still step his game up and I assume he will for the playoffs. Both teams played well but OYS's team still seemed a little flat (they have enough talent to get away with that most of the time).

My biggest concern hockey-wise is that I am scheduled to travel to London and Florida on successive Sundays in mid-March and I may have to take some weird flights so as not to miss any of the remaining games. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that OYS's team has a bye in the first round and must wait until the first round gets completed before scheduling its next game. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

In the meantime, it's been a fine final season, 13-0-1.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    A bye in the first round? What's that?

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Oy gevalt!

    A bye means that you don't have to play in the first round of the playoffs. It is a reward to the teams that finish at the top of the regular season standings.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    Bye? As in, bye, see you later?

    And not having to play hockey is a reward for playing hockey really well? Just checking.

    Hey, at least I'm trying. Usually I just skip these posts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home