MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Kfarcenter

I just received a long and very thoughtful email from Adam Davis, a holy Jew, and Director of Kfar Jewish Arts Center in Chicago. Kfar Center organizes all kinds of Jewish music and cultural events in the Chicago area across all Jewish denominations. Adam was actually the writer of the email to which I (and BloginDM) responded on March 16th.

Adam makes a number of very good points about the value of Jewish music in connecting unaffiliated Jews to their roots. He thinks we are not so far apart and I agree; in fact, one of my basic beliefs is that real music (as opposed to techno garbage that is written just to make money) can reconnect so-called affiliated Jews, particularly teens, who are going through the motions of observance but feel no spiritual connection. I think a lot of the differences relate to the differences in the relative Jewish scenes in Chicago and New York. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to address the points he makes one by one. I hope to get to them soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home