MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, July 30, 2004

What's Wrong With This Picture?

I attended a wedding last night that presented the most incongruous scene I've ever witnessed at a wedding. The ba'alei simcha were Chofetz Chaim Yeshivish with a mix of Chassidim thrown in for good measure. In other words, a "Black Hat" affair. I missed the chupah (my story is that I worked late. It could be that I was riding my bike an extra 45 minutes. Who knows?) and walked into the ballroom only to see that the band was Pey Dalid.


Pay Dalid is a band that would fit right in at Kikar Tzion, anywhere in Tsfat, at Moshav Meor Modi'in or at a Post-Carlebach, Hippie, BT chasunah. But at a Yeshivish wedding? Gevalt!

When they played this very mystical sounding, 'out-there' composition while we were waiting for the first dance set to start, I was thinking, "Do they realize who their audience is?"

When the chasan and kallah came in, the band went right into the Carlebach mode. I don't think they played one song that wasn't from Reb Shlomo. Interestingly, it didn't seem to bother the black hatters one iota. The dancing was very leibidik and a good time was had by all.

What I'm wondering is who made the 'shiduch' between Pey dalid and the Ba'alei Simcha?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home