MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, October 31, 2005

My Bike Is Packed, I'm Ready to Go...

IY'H, I am leaving to Israel on Thirsday afternoon for my second bike tour in Israel. I took a short ride in Central Park on Sunday morning, mainly to check out my new set up (I moved my seat back about 1.5 inches) and to test out some new equipment (a mirror attached to my helmet (we will be riding in a lot of traffic at times), and some cold weather gear.

After the ride, I had my bike taken apart and packed in my travel case. Then I packed my own luggage with all my gear and clothes. I'm really excited again and I can't wait to roll up the Golan Heights next Sunday.

This year has been very different from last. Knowing what to expect makes things much easier. last year I had no idea and this year I'm a veteran. More than that was the impact of two events. First, my father's passing. Because I am in avel (mourning), I did not listen to music all year. It is infinitely more difficult to train on a spinning bike without music. It's just so boring. Second, in July we took on another foster child through OHEL, this time a ten week old baby. It has been an absolute delight and we are completely crazy about her but it has totally screwed up my training. She is the primary reason I missed every single long ride that I had planned on doing this summer and fall.

The truth is that I don't really care. I am still in very good shape and will probably be stronger than two-thirds of the on-road riders but, if I'm not, I still won't care. I'm looking forward to spending five days riding through the land, seeing the friends that I made on last year's ride and making new ones. And, to top it off, I have raised over $15,000 for Alyn Hospital so far and that is the main reason we are doing this ride.

If anyone would like to sponsor me go here and follow the prompts.

Since I will only be arriving Friday morning, it is unlikely that I will have an opportunity to look up my Israeli blogging colleagues this trip. Oh well, I hope to be back in January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home