MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Accountability

I was reading a report this morning on Foxnews.com regarding Todd Bertuzzi's apology for almost killing Steve Moore during an NHL hockey game a few nights ago. Bertuzzi, a 240 pound goon, sucker-punched Moore in the head from behind and then jumped him, smashing Moore's head into the ice. Moore broke his neck (thankfully, he is not paralyzed) and had nasty lacerations on his face. The NHL has suspended Bertuzzi for the rest of the season (while Moore is out for at least that long nursing his injuries).

I was struck by the mealymouthed nature of Bertuzzi's apology.

The report from FoxNews follows with my thoughts in italics.:

"An emotional Bertuzzi apologized to Moore.

"These comments are for Steve. I had no intention of hurting you," Bertuzzi said Wednesday night, reading a statement before the Canucks played the Wild.

What??? He had every intention of hurting him...perhaps not of breaking his neck, but certainly he intended to hurt Moore.

"I feel awful for what transpired," he said.

I'm sure he does. He's been suspended for the season.

"To the game of hockey and the fans of Vancouver, for the kids that watch this game, I am truly story," Bertuzzi said. "I don't play the game that way. I'm not a mean-spirited person and I'm sorry for what happened."

What does he mean, "I'm sorry for what happened". Shouldn't he have said, "I'm sorry for what I did?"

"To Steve's family, I'm sorry you had to go through this and I'm sorry again for what happened out there," Bertuzzi said. "I'm relieved to hear that Steve is going to have a full recovery, it means a lot to me to know that's going to happen."

"I'm sorry for what happened out there"????? Gevalt! What happened out there is that in a premeditated act, he punched someone in the face from behind and then pounced on him with all 240 pounds of his weight, smashing his face into the hard ice. Why can't the guy take some personal responsibility instead of spewing out this silly apology?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home