MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, May 24, 2004

Staying Home

Tamara addresses the issue of stay-at-home moms.

She writes:

I am not advocating that mothers not work outside the home. I do have my own biases. I believe very young children (under five years of age) benefit from having their own mothers as their primary caregivers (what a cold word!). This is why I choose to stay home with my children. I respect the right of other mothers to make different choices, ones that are appropriate for their families. I do find it very odd, though, that in this day and age one has to defend or justify the decision to do the most natural thing in the world.

My wife, like Tamara, stayed at home or worked very part time while our kids were little. When they got older, she specialized within her field such that she was able to work full time but was always home until the kids got on the school bus and always home when they got back. My wife never missed one school play, siddur presentation, chumash presentation, recital, performance, etc. (I also did my best to be at the vast majority of these).

It is a significant adjustment when your children begin to leave the nest, as ours are. It is comforting to know that you tried to do everything in your power to make your kids stimulated and secure, even just by being there. The time has passed so quickly and we will never have those special moments again. I'm glad we didn't miss them.

It may be politically incorrect to say but I couldn't agree more with Tamara.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home