MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Would it Kill You to Say Good Shabbos?

"How dare you say Gut Shabbos to Me?" Hasidic Rebbele tries to say "Gut Shabbos" to all those he passes on the street on Shabbos. He wears the Chassidic 'levush' and this sometimes results in his receiving dirty looks or simply being ignored. Last week someone turned back to him and actually said, "How dare you say Gut Shabbos to me" and then continued walking in the opposite direction.

Hasidic Rebbele laments this type of behavior that is, presumably, engendered solely because of the way he dresses.

I have an additional beef related to saying "Good Shabbos". Like Hasidic Rebbele I too make it my practice to say Good Shabbos to everyone I pass (although I do not wear the 'levush'). What bugs me is that so many people just ignore you. Whether it is because they are in a daze or deep in thought or simply rude, I don't know. And when kids don't respond, it really drives me nuts. What happened to good manners?

(As an aside, the worst is in Yerushalayim because I expect so much more. When I stay in Yerushalayim, I always walk to the Kotel. Although I mostly walk through the shuk, I sometimes go through the Jewish Quarter. When I do, I always say Good Shabbos to everyone I pass. The response rate is almost always less than 50%!!!)

Yiddin, would it kill you to answer "Good Shabbos?"

UPDATE: See Barry Katz's psychoanalytical screed on the topic of why "Black Hatters" don't say Good Shabbos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home