MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Hasidic Musician Avoids A Wedgie

Blog in Dm has a great post that includes a rant by a correspondent about lousy "Carlebachy Jam Bands". I have previously blogged about the lack of talent among most of the groups in this genre.

I wrote:

A couple of months ago I was talking to my Rebbe about Jewish music. A couple of folk-rocky, post Carlebach, non-Shiny Shoe CDs had been released in the previous few months. It seemed clear that the artists and producers putting out these CDs were motivated by all the right things and were not doing it for the money or fame. Nevertheless, the CDs were, IMHO, derivative and not particularly melodic. Mediocre, at best.

(Indeed, there are many groups like that out there and I have met a number of them. They are very sweet and real and all they want to do is inspire other Jews with their music. Unfortunately, they simply aren't particularly original or good.)
Dm's response to the rant is thoughtful and as usual, spot on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home