MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Being Late

Rabbis often give mussar about being late for davening by making analogies to the business world, "Would you come late to a meeting with your boss? Well, Hashem is the boss of bosses", or the Royalty trip: "Would you be late for a meeting with the King? Well, Hashem is the King of all kings." While there is truth to these guilt-trips, I find that they are almost entirely ineffective. They don't resonate and most people don't relate.

This morning, my last in Israel, I davened at the 6:15 minyan in the shul in Yemin Moshe. At 6:20, the shaliach tzibbur reached the point where kaddish is said. Unfortunately, there were only 9 men in shul. The tenth walked in at 6:25. I missed saying kaddish twice because someone was ten minutes late to shul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home