MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Harmony

My dad, z'l, would be proud.

On Sunday afternoon, I went to a recording studio with Chaim Dovid and Shlomo Katz. I am attempting to produce a music CD in memory of my father featuring original music by a number of artists with whom I am close, many of whom knew my dad (all proceeds to support musical gigs at my shul). So far, Chaim Dovid, Shlomo and Aron Razel have signed on formally (others have expressed a keen interest) and I have identified 5 of the 10-12 songs that I am looking for. I am hoping to finish the project by my dad's first yahrtzeit, next November.

(An aside: On the subject of mesiras nefesh and kiddush Hashem, Aron Razel, his wife Efrat and their two little sons left on Monday to spend a month in India searching for the souls of Israelis who are themselves searching for spiritual fulfillment in the East. Aron is a very special, if wacky, piece of work. But I digress.)

The goal of the recording session was to put down the rhythm and perhaps the vocals for three songs, including one by CD, one by Shlomo and one a collaboration. We started with the third, a niggun without words that they had written at my home (inspired by MHW's chesed) almost two years ago. CD put down the rhythm on his accoustic guitar and then Shlomo and CD did the vocals together.

I've never been to a studio before and was fascinated by the process. Everything is computerized and digital. If you make a mistake, you can erase it like a typo in a document. In any event, after a number of takes they had produced the foundation of the song. (The rest of the production will be done in the US with some of my US-based musician friends).

On to the next tune....

Or so I thought. CD and Shlomo urged me to record the harmony. I said, "you must be joking". They said no, persuading me that I had a good voice and that my father would be very proud if I participated.

Now, all modesty aside, I do have a decent voice. I'm not giving up my day job anytime soon to go on the road, but I can sing a little. And, more importantly, I have been blessed with a very good ear. Finally, I grew up at a Shabbos table where my dad had us singing in three-part harmony all the time. Harmony has always come easily to me. It is a bracha.

So, I went into the studio, put on the headphones and, not knowing exactly what to do and worried that I would make a fool of myself, began to sing.

It was very cool. I sang the harmony for the entire 5 minute song, never stopping once. To my own ear, coming through the headphones, it sounded ok and I didn't think I went flat at all.

Amazingly, when we listened to the 'tape', it was, indeed, spot on. We were done. One take. The technician was blown away and CD and Shlomo were laughing.

I don't know the difference between a major and a minor key, can't play one chord on a guitar or any other instrument, but, when it comes to harmony, my dad, z'l, apparently trained me well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home