MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, February 18, 2005

Diminishing Marginal Blogturns

I rarely check my Site Meter because I write this blog 'Lishma', not to shamelessly attract hits like some other bloggers we know. But I did check the other day only to discover that I just that day surpassed thirty thousand hits. Intrigued that so many people would waste so much time reading this goofy blog, I did some further research. It turns out that although I started it in March, 2004, almost no one read it until June, 2004. Looking back in the archives, I realized that I wrote some of my most compelling stuff (okay, other than the macaroon thread) in those early days when no one was watching. I have to admit that since then, most of my stuff has been drivel. (Indeed, I even took a one-month hiatus in August because I had lost my edge).

I find that this happens with most bloggers. They come out of the blocks with a head of steam and quickly peter out. Many stink from the beginning but others start with interesting takes but stop being interesting shortly after debuting. Ironically, since many bloggers are driven by their desire for hits but peak in hits only after having written everything interesting that they will ever write, most readers are drawn to them only after they descend to mediocrity.

That's pretty much what's happened here. The only really interesting things that I have to say relate to Fosterboy (which I can no longer write) and my bike riding (which you will find interesting only if you are a whacked out fitness freak or really have nothing to do).

The good news is that as lousy as this blog is there are many that are far worse. So the hits keep coming.

Not that I care. I'm only doing this lishma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home