MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

My Very Own Jose Canseco Story

I really couldn't care less about the ongoing steroids kerfuffle that has been further fueled by the publication of Jose Canseco's new tell-all book, "Juiced". But it does remind me of my very own Jose Conseco story.

A number of years ago, I used to travel to Toronto at least once a month. Being a big baseball fan and having nothing else to do, I would, during my visits, often attend a Blue Jays game. At the time the Canadian dollar was like Monopoly money and it was worth spending a few cents just to see the wonderous Sky Dome.

One year, I was invited to attend a Yankees game with a couple of local lawyers I worked with. Our seats were in the very first row behind on the visitor's dugout. David Cone was pitching for the Yankees. With two outs, he struck out the batter with a pitch in the dirt. As Joe Girardi, the catcher, walked to the dugout, he motioned to the umpire that the ball was damaged. I stood up, yelled "Hey Joe!" and extended my hands, and he threw the ball right to me as my Canadian colleagues looked on. They were pretty impressed.

A year later, the three of us attended another Yankees-Blue Jays game. Same seats. This time Jose Canseco was batting for the Blue Jays. With two outs, he walloped the ball to the deepest part of center field. Bernie Williams went all the way to the warning track and made a routine catch. As they ran towards the dugout, the left fielder, Chad Curtis, cut in front of Bernie. Bernie flipped him the ball. Chad ran all the way in and motioned to the umpire that the ball was damaged. I stood up and yelled, "Hey Chad!" and extended my hands. Chad threw the ball right to me. My colleagues looked on in amazement.

When I examined the ball, I saw the most remarkable thing. The mirror-image of the name "Jose" was imprinted on the ball! Canseco had hit the ball so hard, right where his name was located on the bat, that it actually became embedded in the ball.

I guess that's the power of the Juice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home