MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Show Me The Mun-ey

I have posted frequently about the sad decline of Seudah Shlishis (the third Shabbos meal) as an institution of MO shuls in America. B'H, my shul still hosts a communal third meal every week, all year 'round. The importance of Seudah Shlishis was brought home this past Shabbos.

Raiva d'raivin (the chosen time of the chosen day). Lights dimmed, sitting around my usual table with my good friends, the discussion, as usual, turned to the deepest topics, this time related to Purim: What's better, Hamentashen with mun or Lekvar (prune butter).

The conversation got heated. I, for one, think it is no contest. Lekvar, obviously. In fact, I cannot even swallow mun. Mun is one of those overrated foods, like Halvah, that I simply can't get down my throat (There is nothing worse than taking a bite out of a chocolate danish only to discover that it is a mun danish. yuchh). My chaverim on the mun side, most of whom are at least 15 years my junior, suggested that perhaps my preference for prune butter Hamentashen was age-related and imagined that they, too, might begin to see the gadlus of prune when they reached my age.

Needless to say, the matter was not resolved. Ailu v'ailu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home