MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, July 27, 2007

A Weighty Matter

My gym has finally replaced the ancient scale in the men's locker room with a digital model. The old scale always annoyed me because it was never calibrated right. No matter how many times I told management, it was never accurate. It was always a few pounds heavy.

My weight fluctuates within a very small band depending on the season. In the winter I can go up to as high as 136 and in the summer I usually go down to 132. During the Alyn bike ride I can go down as far as 128. Since I knew it was off, I never really cared what the scale said; I was more interested in my relative weight. The scale was consistently high so that worked.

Sure enough, when I tried it yesterday, the digital scale came in exactly how I thought it should.

On the subject of scales, and being a keen observer of human beings, I noticed as a member of gyms for the past twenty years that anyone who was overweight would immediately push the scale bars back to zero after weighing himself while skinny people did not. Will overweight people now go to the trouble of pressing the reset button on the digital scale? Inquiring minds want to know.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger A Simple Jew said…

    Weighing oneself on a digital scale everyday is essential for those who want to loose weight. I know I use one to ensure that I don't go over my red line.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Will overweight people now go to the trouble of pressing the reset button on the digital scale? Inquiring minds want to know."

    What are you nuts? We won't go anywhere near the blasted thing!

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, yes we do. Twice. To make sure the damn thing resets itself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home