MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Elitism

I am grateful to Hashem every day that He saw fit to pair me with MHW as my partner in life. It proves He has a sense of humor since this combination is, on the face of it, so unlikely.

MHW's current job is to (figuratively) smack me upside my head every once in a while when she sees me starting to believe my own press clippings. Whenever I start to get carried away with myself, MHW brings me back down to Earth. This is a good thing because it prevents me from becoming insufferable and haughty.

For example, she made it clear that talking about how painful it was to fly to Israel in the back of the bus after flying all over the world in business class was not a topic of discussion she was interested in hearing. She also didn't want to hear much about how great my Bose noise-cancelling headphones are (cost: you don't really want to know). (Which, by the way, they are. Bose Rocks!)

Likewise, MHW is happy to let me to convince my boss and board how great I am (especially at comp time) but would certainly prefer that the kids are not subjected to this drivel.

As usual, she is right.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    Your wife is wise as well as holy. The clients I work for are on two-year terms. When they start, they are generally friendly, normal, down-to-earth people interested in letting the staff make them look good. By the time they leave, they are insufferable egomaniacs who think they can do anything better than anyone. Almost without exception. The exceptions are the ones whose wives prick their heads with pins (figuratively, of course). Actually, so far I can only think of one.

    Listen to your wife.

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    I always listen to my wife.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home