MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, February 05, 2007

The 9:15 Minyan

One of the two shuls where I am a member has a 9:15 a.m. minyan Sunday mornings. I have probably gone there no more than two or three times in all my years in the neighborhood.

Yesterday, because of a snafu by El AL (about which, more later), I found myself spending three hours at JFK waiting for them to retrieve one of my bags. So, it was either daven at home or pop in to the 9:15 minyan.

The truth is, I am semi-embarrassed to go to such a late minyan. I'm trying not to be judgmental but it is simply not in my constitution. I always thought that the 9:15 minyan should be for teens who are dragged out of bed by their fathers and sent on their way to shul.

What really blew me away, though, was that a high percentage of the people who showed up to the minyan were 10 or minutes late! You gotta be kidding me.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    " because of a snafu by El AL"

    Aha!! See what happens when you ignore daas torah. See!!

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Yesterday's flight was not one of El Al's brightest moments, to say the least.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger FrumWithQuestions said…

    Sometimes when you have little kids you are lucky even to get out of the house to go to minyan so you should keep that in mind. If you have a sick wife and kids letting your wife sleep late and going to a later minyan. Car broke down or lost your keys. There are lots of reasons why a minyan like this exists and there are lots of reasons why someone might be late.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    FWQ

    I prefaced my remarks by saying I try not to be judgmental in thuis case. My problem is that I am by nature judgmental.

    While I agree with you in theory, in practice I think most of the people who go to this minyan just like to sleep late.

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger uberimma said…

    Why should it blow you away? It makes total sense. The people who daven late are the people who... daven late.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger rw said…

    Wow, after putting in a long week is it a crime to want to sleep a little later (what a devastating 8:30 or so) on a Sunday?

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    MoC, it's clear to me that the participants at the 9:15 are just coming home from a long night of learning torah/distributing food and clothing to the homeless/etc.

     
  • At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've seen people stroll in over an hour late to "teen" minyanim that begin at 9:30 or 9:45!!

    The only reason I attended such minyanim was to catch up on sleep (though I did wake up to say shema in time, before continuing to sleep until my real wake up time).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home