MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, February 06, 2009

One Day I will Get Myself Arrested

Followers of this blog know that (i) I travel fairly frequently, (ii) I have no patience for the dopey, useless and annoying rules of the TSA, and (iii) I have been "selected" twice in the last three months for "special treatment", including a strip search on my way to Israel last November (by TSA, not El Al).

Last night, on my way to the redeye for my trip home from Los Angeles, I walked to the security gate wheeling a carry on bag on top of which sat my lap top. I was also sporting my knapsack on my back.

The security folks stopped me.

TSA: "You can only bring two carry on items into security."

MoC: "I'm travelling business class".

TSA: "Doesn't matter; that's the rule".

MoC: (As I'm struggling to fit my lap top into my knapsack and my lap top carrying case into my wheelie). "Well, the rule is stupid."

After I squeezed everything into the two bags, I walked though security and said:

"OK? You happy now?"

TSA: "It's the rule"

MoC: "Well, the rule is stupid."

One day, for sure, I'm going to get arrested.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Erachet said…

    That's weird. I'm pretty sure a laptop doesn't count as one of your two carry-on pieces.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Erachet

    It's the RULE

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC - have you been at LGA for early morning Friday flights this year? Whenever I've been there, the security lines have been frighteningly long - only because the TSA personnel never arrive prior to a certain hour of the morning (and when they do arrive, there are never anywhere near enough of them to do process everyone quickly). Hence, the MILES-long lines and nearly-missed flights, etc. etc.

    The joys of flying, huh?

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    MoC - I often have to hold myself back from remarking how easy it would be to carry out a terror attack at any airport (especially JFK or LGA) when security is annoying. It's particularly bad when a number of security people are so focused in making you follow The Rules that you see just how easy it is to take out a whole wing. (Maybe I watch too much 24, but I really don't think so.)

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger ThePeoplesChamp said…

    MoC,

    That was great. I had a similar experience the first day the new AA Terminal was built.
    A chaver and I were flying to Dallas and the TSA guy decided to have a religious discussion with me about my Tefillin. Well, after explaining to the guy that my flight was leaving in less than 10 minutes and I had to run, he then decided to pull me to the side and do one of those fabulously successful swab tests.
    Anyway, I dont think he reached the Penimious of why we wear Tefillin and I of course missed my flight!

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I gotta tell you. I had a lot more respect for you until reading this post. What did you think you would gain? You won't get arrested but you risk singling yourself out for interrogation and missing your flight.

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said…

    Those TSA folks are fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home