MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Boro Park Rock/Shiny Shoe Music

Cookie sent me an email complaining that I am disparaging an entire Jewish community by using the term "Boro Park Rock" to describe a style of Jewish music that I often disparage.

She pointed out that most of the JM professionals who fall into that genre, both performers and producers, don't actually live in Boro Park.

Two points. Boro Park Rock is not a place but a state of mind. Also, I didn't make the term up; it's been used by others before me.

Nevertheless, so as to avoid being motsi shem rah on a community that I respect (Boro Park is the only place I've been able to get completely black 'black and white' cookies), I will henceforth use the term 'shiny black shoe' music, a term that was coined by a good friend of mine in Jerusalem to describe the genre.

Please no emails from shoe merchants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home