MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, April 25, 2004

I Love to Ride My Bi-Cy-Cle (but only up to a point).

In contrast to last Sunday morning, which was as beautiful a Spring day as you could ask for, this morning was 12 degrees colder and much windier. Nevertheless, I dutifully got up at 5 a.m. to do my training for the bike tour that I will be doing, IYH, in Israel next October.

Once again, I drove to Central Park and this time I was on the road by 6:15 a.m. My plan was to do four laps around the perimiter road, a total of 24 miles.

If you like wind tunnels, today was your day. By the time I finished the first lap I was already considering all the good reasons why I didn't really need to do 4 laps. The tour was still 6 months away; There's no point in cold weather training for a bike tour in the Negev; I'm already in pretty good shape; I'll do 30 next week, and so on.

By the middle of my second lap, my toes and the tips of my fingers (I wear biking gloves that cover up to my knuckles) were frozen. 10 years ago, when I was more intense, I would have kept going. Now, I said to myself, "shkoiach; nice ride; but I'm going home; this is ridiculous; I'm not having fun).

So, I cut out at East 72nd Street after 12 miles, hooked my bike up to the bike rack, happily got into my car, turned on the heat, and drove home.

30 miles next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home