MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, May 07, 2004

Too Much Negativity

Looking back at my posts overthe past couple of weeks (months?), I realize that most of what I blog about is negative. My shul's "Late Man", chewing gum in shul, the horrible state of the Jewish Music scene, music during sefirah, etc. Other than my blogs about my planned bike tour to Israel it's been pretty depressing.

The thing is, while I've blogged about "Late Man", I've never blogged about the fact that there is a chaburah of 5 guys who meet at 5 a.m. a few mornings a week to learn. Or that we have a regular shiur with my Rebbe at 6 a.m. that attracts 25 guys every morning (including me) and that on Friday attracts over 50.

I've gone on ad nauseum about shinny shoe music but I never write about some of the wonderful Jewish music that I've discovered or the holy musicians I've gotten to know over the years.

For example, this Motsai Shabbos, our shul will be hosting a hilula in honor of Lag B'Omer. We expect as many as 800 people to attend to hear words of inspiration from our Rebbe and beautiful music from two wonderful, erliche, young musicians, Eitan Katz and Nochie Krohn, whose only goal is to connect Yiddishe neshamas to the Master of the Universe through niggun.

I've written about MO shuls that have lost the way but I never mention that despite their confusion the members of these shuls are generally incredible ba'alei tzedakah and feel passionately about Eretz Yisrael. I never talk about a shul, the Yeshiva Netzach Dovid Minyan, comprised of young MO families that are mamash trying to change the world.

It is, of course, easier to write about negative stuff. You can be funny and sarcastic much more easily. And, of course, the main purpose of my blog is to focus on those aspects of the Orthodox Jewish world that have (IMHO) lost their way. Nevertheless, I will try to balance the negativity by posting on some of the wonderful things that I see every day.

I will start next week with a report on the hilula, one of the highlights of my year and a huge kiddush Hashem.

In the meantime, Good Shabbos, Good Shabbos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home