MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, June 07, 2004

D Day - A Tribute to My Dad

Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of D-Day, the invasion by Allied Forces at Normandy that began to turn the tide against the Nazi's (may their name be erased).

Although my Dad (zzg) did not participate in that invasion (indeed, he served in a different theatre), it seems like an appropriate time to write this.

My dad came to this country from Romania a few years before the war. A graduate of Torah Vodaath, my dad decided that rather than seek a religious deferment by signing up at a yeshiva, he would serve his new country by allowing himself to get drafted. He served in the US Army with distinction for almost four years, mainly in North Africa, and, at the conclusion of the war received an honorable discharge in the rank of corporal.

My dad almost never talks about his years in the Army. When I ask him why he joined the army, he says, simply, because it was the right thing to do. That is how my dad always conducted his life and how he continues to live today. May he be well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home