MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, August 20, 2004

Velvel's Chitzonius

Psycho Toddler started a thread on studio musicians that was picked up by Blog in Dm and authoritatively summarized by Velvel, who went in a slightly expansive direction.

Velvel talks about the difference between Jewish Folk Rock (JFR) and Shiny Shoe music as being a result of the difference not of motivation (as I have frequently posted) but of focus. In the Shiny Shoe world the focus is the singer/producer and in JFR it is the band/songwriter.

I think Velvel is right but wrong. I agree with everything he describes. The difference between my theory and his is the difference between a Chassid and a not-yet Chassid. He is looking at the chitzonius (the exterior reasons). I am looking at the penimius, the deeper reasons. I still hold that the reason Shiny Shoe music stinks is because the people writing the songs and producing the CDs are in it largely to make money. Period. Everything else is details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home