MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Dm Goes Wild

Hasidic Musician and I share a common 'guilty pleasure'. We both like collecting Jewish Music, particularly Israeli 'Ba'alei Teshuva' music and what he calls Chareidi Rock. (I also love finding 'lost Carlebach tapes' and unheard or relatively unheard Carlebach niggunim).

In his latest post, he reviews a whole bunch of new stuff that he picked up in Israel during a recent trip.

A few points in response:

1. Thanks for the monumental effort and the leads; I will look for some of the stuff you cite during my forthcoming trip to Israel (although I will have to wait a year until I listen to it).

2. Questions: Has he heard the music of Michael Shapiro, a Breslov BT of the early 80's who produced six amazing cassettes (now available on CD) and then seemingly vanished from the face of the Earth (I know where he is and how to get his music, if you are interested). Also: What's your take on the two Ain Od Milvado CDs? I find them depressing but many disagree with me and love the stuff. Recommendation: Daniel Ahaviel's Bigdei Hamelech, a wonderful compilation of Chassidishe niggunin featuring Daniel on his fiddle.

3. I urge him to listen to Aron Razel's Shir Tzion a couple more times. There are a few tunes, including Mincha, that I think are fabulous. The stuff is very jazzy and different and takes some getting used to. But, he is right for giving Razel credit for what he's trying to do (which no one else can even approach).

4. I don't know what to make of Adi Ran. I just don't 'get' it. I've tried. I also didn't get Sinai Tor's first CD. My son says the new one is great but I haven't had a chance to listen to it and now I won't be able to for a while. Finally, I just don't go for Revah L'Sheva.

5. I like Yitzchak Fuch's new CD more than Dm does. Ditto for Beit Hakedusha (they are apparently not recording together anymore).

Dm's post, while welcome, drives home how hard this year of avelus will be for me because of the absence of music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home