MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, August 18, 2006

Biking Friday I: The iPod Menace

Since even fewer people than normal read this blog on Fridays, I have decided to devote Fridays to biking posts. That way the people who find these posts tedious can either make a note not to pass by on Fridays or already don't drop in on Fridays.

More and more, I find people riding their bikes while listening to their iPods. In addition to being illegal, it is a fantastically stupid practice. Riding in traffic in inherently dangerous and diminishing one's ability to hear cars, other bikers or pedestrians makes it that much more dangerous.

Unfortunately, this trend is increasing because, unlike cassette and CD players, iPods are tiny and the bouncing of bikes doesn't effect them at all.

A number of riders wore iPods during last year's Alyn Ride. Last year's ride was a particularly dangerous one because we rode in some serious traffic at times. I am very concerned that even more riders will try it this year (despite the fact that the organizers of the ride prohibit their use).

One scenario in particular scares me. On the first day of the ride, we will be descending for almost 18 miles from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. The gradient of these descents is very steep and one can reach very high speeds without even pedalling. There will be around 400 riders flying down these hills. Very treacherous, in my opinion. Add on iPods and I can't even imagine what could happen.

(I have not decided how to ride on the first day. I am considering either riding at the very front of the pack, away from the inexperienced riders, or waiting to the very end, after everyone has left, and riding last. What I won't do is ride in the middle of the pack.)

I fear that riding with an iPod is an accident waiting to happen and I just hope the accident, when it does come, is not too serious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home