MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, May 03, 2007

On Fostering. Part III: The Baby Changes Everything.

This Shabbos marks The Toddler's second birthday. I will be writing a few posts about fostering to mark that occasion.

It's July 10, 2005, at 2 p.m. I'm sitting at my desk at work. The phone rings. I recognize the number displayed on my phone. It's MHW's cell phone.

"Hi, MHW. What's up?"

"Ohel called. They need to place a ten week old baby. A girl."

"What's the story?"

"The baby is fine. Her mother is in the hospital. Post-partum depression. Ohel's desparate. They called a few people and couldn't get anyone to take her."

"How long?"

"Ohel said probably at least a couple of months but it's unclear."

"What else do you know?"

"Pretty much nothing. What do you think?"

"It's much more on you. If it's ok with you, it's ok with me."

"Good. 'Cause I already told them yes. The baby's coming this afternoon."
We had no idea how profoundly our lives would change forever. Almost two years later we still don't.

Next: Changing Diapers at 50.

Part I and Part II.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home