MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

On Fostering: Part I

This Shabbos marks The Toddler's second birthday. I will be writing a few posts about fostering to mark that occasion.

Over the years, I have done a bunch of things for community and other Jewish institutions of all kinds. I have written checks, delivered food for Tomchei Shabbos, served as chairman and/or president of a school and a shul, ridden my bike over 1,000 miles and attended countless parlor meetings, breakfasts and dinners.

But there is one thing I've never done and will never do under any circumstances. I will not do a taharah for the Chevra Kadisha. I just can't do it.

I have heard from many who've done taharas that it is an amazingly spiritual experience and that they feel that they gain so much from participating in this incredible mitzvah. I marvel at their mesiras nefesh. Nevertheless, it's not for me.

You may be wondering what this has to do with fostering. I can't count the number of times people have come over to me and MHW and said how inspired they are by what we do, how they have so much respect for what we do, etc., etc., but that they could never do it themselves.

I get it, and I respect it, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people don't fully understand what fostering is about and what it can do for your family. Fostering has had and continues to have a profound positive effect on our family. It is something that cannot easily be replicated. I will develop these thoughts next post.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home