MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, December 13, 2007

More Things I Don't Get

I don't know about you, but when I get dressed, I put on my underwear first, then my shirt, then my pants, then my socks and, finally, my shoes. I do this at home in the morning and after showering in the gym. It kind of makes sense.

That's why I don't really get it when I see guys in the gym putting on their pants first, (many of them acually buckling their belts) before putting on their shirts (or socks and shoes followed by their shirts). The only time it makes any sense is in a gym setting, when guys are still overheated from their workouts and want to cool down as much as possible before putting on their shirts.

This afternoon I saw something really weird, which I've seen once or twice before. A guy put on his socks and shoes before putting on his pants! What's up with that? What possible explanation could there be for that? I am perplexed.

Labels:

13 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said…

    Is it that hard to find good material to blog about?

    I guess so.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Are you kidding? This is one of my most profound posts!

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Bro (yes, your brother)GET BACK TO WORK!!!!

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bizarre.

    On a side note, I think I follow the same routine as you.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Could it be that he wanted to minimize his barefoot time at the gym for fear of athelete's foot? (He couldn't then put his socks on, cause they would get all soggy.) Where does yarmulka fit in to this? Are you one of those chassidim that puts on your yarmulke first?

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no tzitzis?

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I start from the ground and go up. Socks, underwear, pants, shirt. I don't think that's weird. It's linear. I do this dressing process at the gym too, which means I too have to go: socks, SHOES, uw, pants and shirt, so as not to get my socks wet. The trick of course is to get your uw on without touching it with your shoes.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Tzitzis, that goes without saying.

    Yarmulke, it's like this. In the mornings, right after the UW

    At the gym, last, after I put my shirt on. In the gym, in order to save time, I don't unbutton my shirt, I slip it off over my head (and put it back the same way. It would be silly to put on the yarmulka just to take it off again when putting the shirt on. It's all about efficiency.

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said…

    Fasten zip, or zip fasten?

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC, you got your logic all backwards.

    Socks before pants. Then we don't have to roll up the pants to get the socks straight. For some of us, that's a longer trip down.

    Pants before shirt, so the tzitzis go on after the lower half is completely covered.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    wd47

    If you put the pants on first, you have to scrunch the tzitzis and shirt tail in (or drop the pants which defeats your purpose). That leads to the bulky look. I'm a wall street lawyer, dude. I can't walk around with the bulky look.

    And, I'm agnostic on the socks/pants continuum.

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no the theory is this. some of us are embarrased to be a)naked b)in just our underwear(very few of us are as juiced as you are MO)so the theory is get ur pants on fast, bc if there is a firedrill we'd rather have the pants on then the shirt on. and thats the way they did it in Europe:)Brad

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Brad

    I hear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home