MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, October 03, 2008

Long Davening, Bad Markets and Cold Weather

1. When I moped about the long davening on Rosh Hashanah (especially the second day), I probably gave people the wrong impression. There is nothing wrong with the davening. In fact, it was very beautiful and the ba'alei tefilah (whom, ironically, I had much to do with recruiting) davened with great skill and immense kavanah. The problem, instead, is with me. I simply don't have the zitsfleish to sit for six and a half hours.

In theory, I could go downstairs to the second minyan which starts a half hour later and usually ends at least a half hour earlier, but I won't. So, I'm stuck.

(Weirdly, I can sit in shul all day (and actually do) on Yom Kippur and it doesn't bother me in the least).

2. Yesterday was the roughest day in the history of my market. Hard to know where the bottom is or whether the bailout plan will have any major impact in the short run. I think not getting it passed on Monday is having lingering negative effects.

3. The weather report for Sunday calls for a high of 65 degrees. That means that when I do my morning bike ride, around 7:30 a.m., it will probably be around 50 degrees. Do you have any idea how cold it gets when you're riding downhill at 30 miles an hour in 50 degree weather? Pretty darn cold. I'm just saying...

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said…

    Davening at CBJ went from 7:30 to 14:30, you can do the math. Fortunately, I was at the other place, which went from 8 to 1 and we sang everything and even shlepped through korbanos and psukei dezimrah.

    Unfortunately my wife went to the first place so I still had to wait for her.

    Aderaba. There is nothing wrong with a short davening, if you spend the whole time davening. The problem with a long davening is that I spend most of the time daydreaming.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hear you, MoC. Everyone has their limits. Where I daavened, we went from 8:00 - 1:00-ish; not bad, considering the pace of daavening, singing, etc. Still, it could have been shorter without affecting the pace of daavening (inefficiencies...).

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why won't you go to the "downstairs" minyan?--What is wrong with it?

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Nothing wrong with the downstairs minyan. I'm just constitutionally unable to daven in the social hall. It's me, it's not the minyan.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you bring a sefer with you? I find learning halacha during the schlepping is very helpful in being productive when ur zitsfleisch has gone the way of the markets.Brad

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Brad

    I brought my gemara. I got a lot done. I was still going crazy in the last half hour.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC,

    Cant you make something happen? You worked some magic with the Baal Tefillah issue make it happen here. You're MoC for crying out loud!
    JUST DO IT.
    (I can see the drawback though. Politically, the downstairs guys can say they get out an hour earlier and start 1/2 hour later so it's worth it to be a "downstair guy". If all was even, you would have an uproar)

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahhhh--so when its too hard to concentrate on the daf you need something else..since a sports illustrated is out i like to use something that is an article on a somewhat controversial topic. Land for peace, heter mechira, a women's issue. Something that draws you in thru the geshmak of hock. but i feel your pain.Brad

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Comments on the bailout?

     
  • At 4:21 AM, Blogger my chariot wheels said…

    I invite you guys to our Rosh Hashana Minyan. Start at 7:00 AM finished comfortably at 10:30 AM.
    Plenty of time to even browse through Sfarim. and on the second day had time to Bar - B - Q (on old fashioned coals) before the guests arrived. Fresh grilled meat , gshmack for Yuntif.
    You guys just might have to leave Galus to enjoy our amenities

     

Post a Comment

<< Home