MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Coming Crisis For Jewish Charities, Part III

I received a follow up email this morning from the head of the vaad for the Alyn Hospital bike ride which I completed last month.

The email urged us to follow up with our potential sponsors and try to bring in as much money as possible so that we could reach our goal of over $2,000,000. We are currently holding at $1,600,000.

To put it into perspective, last year the hospital raised over $3,000,000. This year, ridership was down by over 100 riders, mostly North Americans (whose average fundraising is much higher than their Israeli counterparts). I raised over $23,000 this year, down from $25K last year. This put me into third place among North American fundraisers; last year, I was about 6th or 7th.

This is almost all economy related. The implications to the hospital of that lost $1+ million are hard to describe.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger nyfunnyman said…

    wish i could have helped but having been laid off and with tuitions to pay- unfortunately i can't. kudos to you for raising the $$

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    i got most of my money from corporate relationships. thanks for the thought and good luck.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Gila said…

    I am moving this week and decided to do a fundraiser-housewarming party--another book swap. I probably won't raise huge amounts, but hopefully a couple hundred shekels. And because people walk away with lots of books, no one feels as though they are actually giving to charity. Instead, they feel as though they are getting bargain books. :)

    (Sounds terrible, but remember that I have been squeezing my friends for months now...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home