MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A Burning Question

Last night the Vance asked MHW for beans for dinner. You know, the Heinz Vegetarian beans as in hot dogs and beans (even though we weren't having hot dogs (the MoC family has hot dogs only at barbeques and then MHW often tries to foist turkey dogs on us. But I digress.)).

Anyway, the Vance ended up not eating them so when I got home, MHW warmed them up for me.

Here's my burning question.

Why do vegetarian beans stay warm for so short a period? This is something I've wondered about for years. Why do they not retain heat for more than two minutes at which point, like cold chulent, they are so much less appealing? Curious minds want to know.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    similar to the microwave phenomenon- boiling hot and then cold within seconds (not to mention hot on the outside and frozen on the inside).....

    Welcome back- I thought you were throwing in the blogging towel for a change..... (no posts regarding the economy, Plaxico, the Kallah)

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would guess it has to do with fat content - regular baked beans and cholent both have animal fat in them which helps to retain heat. Versus veggie beans which only have at best vegetable oil added to them - not a very good insulator me thinks.

    AM

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the specific heat of whateber is in the vegetarian stuff is obviously much less than the specific heat of the fleish ones.obviously.Brad

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Blogger Originally From Brooklyn said…

    Only a true bean can know why the bean loses its heat so fast. And since I ain't a been a bean in a while I can't very well say. It probably has something to do with the word thurmosomthinerother.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home