MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, July 26, 2009

What I Learned in the Grand Jury Room

I have now served three of the four weeks of my grand jury "sentence".

It has been both fascinating and tedious at the same time. It has wreaked havoc on my schedule and I have struggled to keep on top of all the things that are going on at work. It has been very demanding and I feel good about my contribution as a citizen. I am looking forward to the end in five days.

It has also, in many ways, been a huge eye opener.

I hope to post (seriously) about some of my observations but that will have to wait.

Right now, I have a couple of short thoughts.

* If you are driving with drugs, by all means obey all traffic laws. Many of the drug busts we have heard started as routine traffic stops.

* If you are arrested, lawyer up and don't talk to the cops or make or sign any statements until you've seen your lawyer. A very high percentage of the targets of the grand jury have signed self-incriminating statements that give the grand jury virtually no choice but to indict. Haven't these people watched LAw & Order?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Off topic -- since I have been so impressed with your fostering posts, do you have anything to say regarding today's NYT magazine article about a foster couple? What foster parents do is so incredible.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    Shouldn't you be saying "Please, continue to not obey traffic laws" and "Whatever you do, don't get a lawyer if you've done something wrong"? :)

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    tesyaa

    Have not seen the article. Thanks. I will check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home