MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Real Life Moot Court UPDATED

I spent yesterday morning in a Philadelphia courtroom listening to oral arguments in this case. My firm had submitted an amicus (friend of the court) brief in support of the evil hedge funds that own the debt.

Three things were noteworthy. The lead judge rocked. He took control immediately and had an absolute handle on the issues (He is a former bankruptcy partner at a Delaware firm and has a reputation for being a great judge in financial cases).

Second, one of the three judges on the panel attended virtually, through a video hookup. Pretty cool. As my father, z'l, would have said, "America Ganif".

Third, there were about 20 representatives of the Teamsters Union in attendance, in support of the company. The company has been warning the unions that if the evil hedge funds get control of the company, the union will be busted and other terrible things will happen. (Perhaps the company should have thought of that when they borrowed $275 million that they can't pay back).

All in all, a very interesting morning.

And, for me, whose last "court" argument was 33 years ago in law school moot court (a case I lost 2-1 to a very attractive blond; I received the vote of my female writing instructor and my opponent received the two men's votes. I'm just saying), these cases are a hoot. This is the fourth case that I've been involved in since July and we are about to file a fifth. MoChassid: Litigator. Who woulda thunk it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC- I think your use of the term "evil hedge fund" in a case where you're obviously biased is wrong.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your female opponent probably believed that your good looks swayed the vote of the female writing instructor ;)

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Anonymous 10:17.

    I am on the side of the "evil hedge funds". It was a joke. The owners of the newspaper have been trying to portray the hedge funds that way.

    Anonymous 11:59

    The difference is, she was actually very pretty; I was not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home