MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Worse Than Shiny Shoe Music

I was sitting this morning at the Rimon Cafe in the mall outside the Jaffe Gate having a lovely working breakfast. (I have recently bought in heavily to the idea of taking a lap top everywhere I go and hooking into wifi; a little late to the game but not bad for an alter kocker)

They were playing very nice music (including a tune from Mati Caspi from about 35 years ago when I spent a year at Hebrew University that had me going nostalgic). Then they played a pretty song called "Killing Me Softly" by someone whose name escapes me. Suddenly, after a couple of verses, a rapper intervened in the song. The whole rap thing then surrounded the pretty song and totally ruined it.

I've been meaning to post about this phenomenon for a while but haven't had the chance. This morning was the last straw.

What IS this?

I am often subjected to this horror at spin classes. They take classic rock songs and surround them with either a rap or disco beat. I recently went to a spin class where the instructor was a few years older than I. She announced that she would be playing "oldies" from her era and hoped that everyone would get into it. Unfortunately, I was then forced to listen to 45 minutes of this horrible music. I felt myself longing for The Chevra or the Yeshiva Boys Choir! (OK, not really, but you get the point).

There ought to be a law.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM, Anonymous tnspr569 said…

    Roberta Flack?

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fugee's more likely.Brad

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    roberta flack sounds right.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If it was the rap interlude that bothered you, it was likely the Fugees cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YAEWrnOtrY

    of the Roberta Flack original: http://s0.ilike.com/play#Roberta+Flack:Killing+Me+Softly+With+His+Song:22365:m4399087

    And the singer was Lauryn Hill.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, rap music makes me furious. Ugly and stupid.
    Now I sound like my parents.
    Jenny

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    I'll admit. I like the Fuggees cover of that song.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger ThePeoplesChamp said…

    Amazingly what started this whole thing was a great convergence between Aerosmith (and their rebirth) and Run DMC. Unfortunately, the final result has not been good.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    Totally agree with you about the music. Was in high school in Israel in the early 70's - (sigh) haven't heard a Mati Caspi song in eons. Never thought of you as a Hebrew U guy though ;-)

    Wife in daughter are currently in Israel for a family Bar-Mitzvah and to make a final decision on seminaries.

    Have a safe trip back

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Steve

    Just picked up a Mati Caspi CD at the airport.

    I did four days of riding, three with OOS. We went up Nes harim the first three days and then we did Ramat Raziel on Friday. I LOVE that hill! And, for the first time, I rode down Ramat Raziel. Sick.

    I was also there with the family and OMD checked out the seminaries as well. Very tough choice but she finally decided.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok Oldie McOld.

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Vlogger said…

    We Know Relocation is a Time Taking Process. To reduce such a hassle ,Contact Our Loading Unloading Staffs in Kochi Ernakulam Packers and Movers Kochi Address: Near Choice Tower, Star Homes Building, Shop 1/22nd Block, Thrippunithura Ernakulam, Kochi, Kerala 682301
    .

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home