MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, April 29, 2004

"Pashuteh Yiddin Amiteeim": Second Thoughts

The Heilig Rebbe of Klal Yisrael ("HRKY") sent me a one line email last night that I've been thinking about ever since. He wrote, "May we be zoche to be pashute Yiddin amiteeim" (May we merit being simple, true Jews).

I've also been getting a number of emails from the Holy Lawyer of Maiden Lane ("HLML") suggesting that I was off base in criticizing the local Yeshiva for playing music on Sunday evening at a Yom ha'atzmaut gathering.

Finally, at this morning's shiur in Choshen Mishpat, my Rebbe digressed and discussed a Torah from Rebbe Nosson of Breslov on the topic of sinas chinum and relationships bein adam l'chaveiro (among people).

The HRKY is a man of few words and each of his words needs to be considered carefully. The HLML is a frequent correspondent who always has an interesting and mature perspective. And, of course, my Rebbe is my main source of hadrachah (direction).

In the offending email, I suggested that the school was practicing ideological Yiddishkeit at the expense of halacha by scheduling a Yom Ha'atzmaut gathering on Sunday evening, for convenience, even though the Israeli Rabbanut had pushed off Yom Ha'atzmaut until Monday night.

Upon reflection I have reached two conclusions. Being an am ha'aretz (ignoramus) , it's really stupid of me to blog on specific issues relating to halacha. In the future I will try to leave these to Hirhurim and others more qualified.

Second, my bashing of this Yeshiva was an example of a regrettable lack of hakoras hatov (gratitude) on my part to an institution that my family has personally benefitted from and that has had a tremendous positive impact on the community. It is one of the most forward looking, together schools that I know of and, even if I didn't agree with them on this issue, I owed them the benefit of the doubt. It's easy to rant and rave (especially anonymously on a blog) but what I wrote wasn't an example of being a pashute Yid amitee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home