MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, February 24, 2005

I Don't GET It

It is my policy never to blog on halachic issues. Being an am ha'aretz, I am in no position to post intelligently on these issues, so I don't. I leave the halachic blogging to Gil, following the discussions carefully but rarely commenting.

Recently he posted about Rav Elyashiv's apparent ruling against prenups. Although I may not be competent to understand his halachic reasoning, I must admit that I was alarmed by the result. Sadly, in this day and age it seems there are more and more horror stories about men withholding gets to extort money, obtain better custody arrangements or simply torture their wives. The prenup is a tool that has been relatively effective, as a practical matter, in preventing such abuses.

This was brought home this past week by an ad and front page article I read in the local Jewish newspaper. The article was a glowing testimony to a certain Shiny Shoe music promoter who was putting together a benefit concert featuring the self-proclaimed "King of Jewish Music" and two other performers (one of whom, by the way, was recently arrested for doing drugs with and sexually abusing teen-aged girls in Jerusalem). What the article failed to mention, but what is well-known, is that this promoter has been torturing his wife for the past few years by withholding a get.

I sent an email to the editor of the newspaper asking how he could write such an article about someone like this and he passed the buck, telling me to take up the issue with the organizers of the concert. While I have not spoken to the organizers, it is not possible that they are unaware of the situation.

Unfortunately, this is the velt in which we live. So long as the promoter can make money for the musicians and raise money for the tzedakah (and provide ad income to the newspaper), rather than being ostracized and shunned, he is heralded as a hero and treated as a shayner Yid. Treated this way, why should he give his wife a get?

Perhaps if his wife had the benefit of a prenup, she would not be at his mercy today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home