MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Interview UPDATED

My older daughter and I did an interview on the JM in the AM program this morning. The topic was, of course, being a foster family. I have to admit that I have never once listened to the program nor met Nachum Segal before today. He was very gracious and an excellent interviewer.


The truth is, everywhere we go, people are fascinated by the idea of fostering. This is particularly true when they see MHW or me with the Baby. Nachum's questions reflected this fascination.

My take is that many people can't envision themselves fostering so their questions often focus on that: How can we do it? What's it like? How much time did you have from the time OHEL called and the children arrived?

My goals were to try to explain how much we've gained (rather than given) from fostering, how profound an experience it has been for our children, and how important OHEL is to the Jewish community.

We were on for a full half hour (between 8:15 and 8:45 a.m.). I think it went pretty well. Our daughter, despite being very nervous (and, to her credit, waking up at 6 a.m. in order to get to Jersey City on time) was great; honest and compelling.

All in all, an interesting experience.

The interview is archived here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home