MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Even More Scholastic Hockey

The other night I went to a JV hockey semifinal between DRS and the distinguished, currently co-ed institution from across town. Since I have no dog in this fight (our son is on varsity) attending this game proves beyond a doubt that I don't have much of a life.

(The DRS fans were taunting the HAFTR fans by calling out the nickname of another local yeshiva's team (if you know what I mean); the HAFTR fans responded by calling out: "Where'r your girls". You gotta love it).

DRS had beaten HAFTR three times already this season so one might have expected an easy win for DRS. Wasn't to be. While DRS had the better of the play in the first period, they walked away with only a one goal lead, a shot from the point by a defenseman.

DRS scored quickly in the second period on a wraparound; a momentary lapse by HAFTR's goalie who was otherwise exemplary. From that point on, however, the tide turned. HAFTR scored the next two goals and regulation ended in a tie.

In overtime, HAFTR continued to press the play but, suddenly, DRS got a quick shot on goal and scored on a rebound to win the game, 3-2. Just like that.

Great game. I felt sorry for the HAFTR kids who played their hearts out and deserved to win as much as DRS.

DRS is 12 - 0 for the season and will be playing TABC, also 12 - 0, for the championship. Sadly, I won't be able to make it because I have a business commitment.

This Sunday the varsities of these same two teams meet for the third time this year in the varsity semifinal. I am getting too old. My nerves can't take much more of this.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home