MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Happy Anniversary to MoC

Not really. That's not till late August. The big 25.

But MHW presented me with my anniversary present last night. Well, MHW didn't exactly present me with the gift. She sent me to buy it since it is impossible to buy a really good bike for someone else.

Why so early? A couple of reasons. I was planning to hand down my beloved Trek 1500 to OOS before he takes HHW and our grandson and absconds to Israel in September (When you pound into your children the importance of Eretz Yisrael and Medinat Yisrael and they end up taking you seriously, there is not much you can say other than Tzeitzchem L'shalom). Their lift leaves in July so the bike needs to go. Second, since I will be doing most of my training in the spring and summer, waiting until the end of August to get a new bike makes no sense.

Highlights: Dura Ace components, titanium frame (thanks to Psycle Steve), nice light weight, real nice fit.

Downside: I no longer have any excuses for being slow. And, if the Alyn Challenge Ride ends up being more than I can chew, it's on me, not my bike. Also, I'm taking a huge chance on a compact double crank (50-34) rather than a triple (53-39-30). The salesman convinced me that with a 12-25 cassette, the compact will be virtually equivalent to the triple. I told him that if I'm struggling climbing the hills of the Negev I will be cursing him all the way up.

Anyway, thanks to my beloved MHW for the bike but especially for the 24.85 years. I don't know what you could possibly have been thinking in April of 1981 when you said yes.

(If you need Rashi or Tosafos for parts of this post you can send me an email.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said…

    I think my Schwin has some gears or sompin.

    Mazel tov on the bike. Just don't ride it in Satmerville.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home