MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, July 21, 2006

Socks

I have owned only one pair of sandals in my life. That was during my year at Hebrew University over 30 years ago when I went native. In fact, since then, I have never put on shoes without socks underneath. The very thought of going sockless grosses me out.

I was moved to write this post by what I saw this morning at minyan. A bunch of men either wearing Na'ot or loafers without socks, during davening. Call me old fashioned but I just don't get that. Whatever.

Ironically, I am sitting at my desk this morning sockless, in Na'ot. I got caught in a torrential rain this morning for which an umbrella was useless. My regular shoes and socks are soaked and are drying. Feels goofy.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    A bunch of men either wearing Na'ot or loafers without socks, during davening. Call me old fashioned but I just don't get that

    I agree. After all, as the midrash teaches our father Abraham put on a pair of tube socks before composing shacharis.

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nu? What socks to you wear, MOC?

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Simple is elegant. Ever wear any other colors? What style/length are your socks?

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Huh? If those are colors, I can only imagine how you refer to the lengths...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home