MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, September 07, 2006

How I Met And Married MHW, Part III: It Takes Two To Tango

My current job requires me to figure out what my market needs and then build a consensus among the various constituents to get it done. This is not easy but, BH, I am pretty good at it.

I first employed this skill when I decided to marry MHW. Having established the goal, i.e., marriage, I now needed to build a consensus, a meeting of the minds, between MHW and me.

I can hear my readers commenting how gross and unromantic this sounds. Marriage a goal to be achieved like a business plan? yech.

On the contrary, the seven weeks it took from our initial encounter (and my spontaneous decision to marry MHW, unbeknownst to her) until the time she said yes were very romantic and exciting times.

As it happens, MHW kept a diary so we have a pretty good record of those days. We went out a lot and did a bunch of fun things. Broadway shows, dinners, movies. Nevertheless, what is most remarkable about MHW's account is how far from her mind marrying me was when we started dating. (And, I remember how careful and subtle I tried to be so as not to scare her off). This state of affairs lasted a few weeks.

To be precise, our first date was February 28, 1981. On April 6th, I made my intentions known. About two weeks later, on April 19th, MHW finally came around. (Can you believe it? It took her two full weeks!).

Next: Engagement Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home