MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, September 04, 2006

Fleeting Moments IV

Last Friday night, our entire family ate the seudah together. That was the first time since Pesach that we were all together for a Shabbos meal and will probably be the last until at least Pesach (if we can work out going to Israel for the chag), if not next summer. This underscores the point I tried to make in an earlier post.

OOS, OHDIL and the grandkids are making aliyah tomorrow. It's hard to believe that the time has already come but it has. MHW has been on her best behavior but I know she is having a very difficult time processing it. I have appeared to be cool about it, but I am also having a hard time (even though I'm going to Israel next week).

Don't get me wrong. We are very happy for them and very proud. And, of course, you can't preach something to your kids for their entire lives and then act surprised when they actually take you seriously.

But being happy and proud doesn't mean it's easy. I think the best way of dealing with this is to try to figure out how to get to Israel as often as possible. In this regard I am very fortunate because my job will likely require me to be in Europe three or four times a year and it is actually cheaper to stop off in Israel on the way rather than going direct round trip (don't ask me why that is; it just is). And, I collect huge frequent flyer miles making other trips that much easier. It is not as easy for MHW and this is exacerbated by the presence of the Toddler. You can't just pick up and go to Israel for a long weekend or a couple of weeks when you have a little one to care for. But we will deal with it.

So, give your kids a hug because they grow up so quickly and before you know it they're gone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home