MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, October 16, 2006

Shtick

The chaggim were beautiful and it's sad to see them over.

One issue: Shtick on Simchas Torah.

I have no philosophical issue with shtick on ST. There are sources in the seforim for the idea and they go back a long, long time. My issue is not with kibud tefilah, etc. It's with lack of humor.

Does anyone really find it funny when the chazan davens Maariv in nusach Yomim Noraim? How many times do you have to hear Hallel to rock tunes before it gets tedious? Water splashed in the face of the ba'al musaf when he says Mashiv Haruach U'morid Hageshem...That's funny?

Sorry, I find it hard to muster up any belly laughs. We need some new material.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    Does anyone really find it funny when the chazan davens Maariv in nusach Yomim Noraim?<---- Not supposed to be funny. Supposed to be a way of pucturing the solemness.

    How many times do you have to hear Hallel to rock tunes before it gets tedious? <----- Boring.

    Water splashed in the face of the ba'al musaf when he says Mashiv Haruach U'morid Hageshem <---------- no longer done anywhere I know

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said…

    Mo, you're just a curmudgeon. You've said so yourself.

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    "tell me you thought anything we did was funny?"

    I thought the shoe dance redux was an amusing interlude. (certainly a moral booster, albeit smelly; though that was the idea).

    Sadly (for me), if I'm not plastered, I don't find anything on ST amusing. I do look forward to the whole Kol Nearim, Chasan Torah, Chasan B'reishis sequence, which I consistently find heartwarming and worth waiting for each year.

    And I get a kick out of the rock tunes only because I'm a music snob and want to see which tunes I can ID.

    But I am interested in hearing what you think would be funny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home