MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, March 26, 2007

Turbo Shopper

The last time I bought a suit was almost three years ago for OOS's wedding. The only reason I bought one then was because I was instructed to by MHW. My protestations that my old, expensive suits were still fine fell on deaf ears.

In the old days, I would buy two or three very good suits each year. I often bought them with two pairs of slacks each. They would last forever. Since the late 1990's, when Wall Street went casual, I have rarely worn a suit except for Shabbos and Yom Tov. However, in the last two years, since I have been having more client meetings and making countless presentations, I have been wearing suits more and more frequently.

In a word, my suits are shot.

Last week, I received an email from a Fine Men's Store (FMS) that they were having a serious sale on suits. I took this as a sign that it was finally time.

I walked into the FMS at 10:35. I walked out at 11:05 with three new suits: Solid navy, Charcoal gray pinstripe, solid black. (Actually, I didn't walk out with the suits; they are being tailored). The only reason it took as long as it did is because the salesperson went AWOL for 5 minutes looking for a black suit.

My life is complicated enough as it is. That's why I keep my suits very basic. Black, Navy and charcoal gray. White shirts. Basic ties that can match up with most of my suits.

(My clothing hero remains Peter, the head trader from one of my previous jobs. Peter would buy three identical navy suits for $2,000 each, each with two pairs of pants. He wore the exact same suit every single day. All he had to do in the morning was pick a tie.)

It is always great seeing the reaction of the salespeople. You can tell that they don't get to deal with a turbo-shopper very often.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you! Show the industry who's boss!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home