MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Stinky Smokers

While I almost never discuss politics on this blog, those who know me know that I prefer that, to the greatest extent possible, the government stay out of our hair. So, for example, I favor low taxes and detest stupid regulation (like banning aluminum bats or trans fats).

Having said that, it is my humble belief that the government can't tax cigarretes enough. I say, impose a new $10 federal tax per box. (Of course, I don't really say that because I know that imposing such a tax would result in the development of a huge black market; but you know what I mean).

What has raised my ire so much? A few things.

Yesterday, a woman on the LIRR platform was smoking a cigarette as the train approached. Having no option to move, we were forced to inhale her disgustring second-hand smoke. Yech.

Today, I attended an all-day seminar. Unfortunately, sitting next to me was one of my colleagues, an otherwise fine young man whom I call Mr. Ashtray. He went outside to smoke after every single panel and I was forced to sit next to him and smell his stinkiness for the next forty five minutes until he could refresh the stink.

(Indeed, I love all aspects of my job except the fact that four of my twelve colleagues are human chimneys. I constantly have to attend meetings in smelly rooms.)

So, bring on the tax. Who says I have to be consistent?

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Smoking is different; it kills smokers and those around them. One has no right to negatively affect the health of others.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger A Simple Jew said…

    I always wondered why smokers were allowed to take breaks and leave the office to go out an smoke.

    Then I realized that with each break they were not taking 15 minutes off work, they were taking 15 minutes off the end of their lives. So, I guess it is fair in the end...

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger SaraK said…

    I have never understood why non-smokers have to be subject to the stinkiness of smokers. When I walk down the street in NYC I am usually in a crowd with some people smoking and no way to move around them. Or entering an office building when the entire front plaza is filled with smokers - you have no choice but to walk through their cloud. It's disgusting.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what do you do when all your carlebach hippie friends (stars) light up on stage?

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    None of my Carlebach hippie friends smokes on stage.

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Erachet said…

    I totally agree, smoking is awful. I think it should be totally illegal, but at least not made so easy to do. It's not fair to those of us who don't want to deal with any nasty effects of second-hand smoke.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home