MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Extreme Sports Meme

Jacob Da Jew has tagged me with the following Meme about extreme sports:

1. What is your sport?

Loan distance road biking, of course. I actually started out almost twenty years ago with biathlons. These usually consisted of running 3 miles, biking 18 or 20 miles and running another 3 miles. I loved doing those races. After a while, I dropped the biking and concentrated on long distance running. In '94 and '95 I ran the New York Marathon, each time in the glacial time of about 4:30. About four years ago I dropped running and concentrated on biking almost exclusively. I've done many centuries and three rides of over 250 miles (in five days).

2.Why do you like this one?

Besides keeping me fit, I love the wind in my face, I love the challenge of climbing ridiculous hills. I do a lot of thinking on the bike. Most of my good blogging ideas come while I'm riding (or davening). I like to sweat.

3. How long are you doing this for?

I got my first road bike almost 20 years ago. I've bought two new bikes in the last 3 years.

4. Most painful experience.

I've had a few. During a biathlon about 18 years ago, I fell over my handlebars while sliding on a turn. Thankfully, I was ok. Three years ago, I fell while riding on a terrible path during one of the New York City century rides. I landed on my arm, just below my shoulder. Another few inches and I would have broken my clavicle. As it is, my arm hurt for over a year. Last summer, I got hit by a car (entirely my fault) and sheared off the dude's mirror. Had I not swerved at the last second, I would have been crushed. As it was, I didn't even fall off my bike. Just a big black and blue mark on my tush. And, just this past Sunday, I totally bonked in the Jerusalem heat while climbing Nes Harim, a very nasty 3.5 mile climb.

5. Most memorable experience.


Three. All during my first Alyn Ride. First, the climb up Metsukai Dragot near the Dead Sea. A mid day, crazy 3 + mile climb in 100 degree heat. Second, the 18 mile ascent from the Dead Sea to Jerusalem. I cried when I got to the top. Then, when we rode into the hospital at the end of the ride, I cried again. (On the running side, starting and finsihing the NYC Marathon in '94. Watching 30,000 people cross the Verazano bridge was spectacular. Finishing in one piece was a thrill).

6. Add tall tale or new question to Meme.

A question. "What do you fear in your sport". I fear getting a blowout or otherwise falling during downhills where you can reach speeds between 40 and 50 mph. I also fear riders who ride with ipods. They are hazardous.

I tag Psychotoddler, Ben Chorin and Treppenwitz (Is bourbon drinking considered an extreme sport?)

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger J. "יהוא בן יהושפט בן נמשי" Izrael said…

    "I tag Psychotoddler, Ben Chorin and Treppenwitz (Is bourbon drinking considered an extreme sport?)" No.

    But ""LOAN distance biking is definitely a national sport among young Jewish couples... the million dollar home that must come standard, the fancy car and designer clothes...

    There was never a shortage of meshigassen in our world.
    Neither of meshugoim...

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger J. "יהוא בן יהושפט בן נמשי" Izrael said…

    Sorry to bother again -

    I noticed that you're involved with music. In the past I leaft you two questions, but one was on a very old post (I didn't realize immediately) and now I can't find the second.

    So, in short, do you know for sure what the royalty rules are? For example, does Santana have to play Greenie for each time he plays/records/releases Black Magic Woman? Do the "new" FM have to pay Greenie when they play that song?

    Second, is it really true that downloading music via P2P is illegal?

    - Now tell me if this isn't ironic: Aaron Razel was my classmate at one point... I didn't see him in a long while until I met him again in my parents' house - he was good buddy with my brother Avi Izrael who is keyboardsman for Menachem Herman. I also pretty much like Singolda - a good sessionst indeed. No, not lukather, but still great. When I first heard Schwekey's "Shomati" the intro sounded very much like Gary Moore. I played a prank and renamed it "I have Heard" by Gary Moore and put it on P2P. It got uploaded quite a few times, and I really, really wanted to see the faces of the people when the rhythm and vocals kicked in...

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC- ouch. You know trep used to ride...

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Yehu.

    Anyone who records another persons song on a CD is required to get permission and pay 9.1 cents per copy printed. There are rules for playing songs over the radio but I don't know what they are (if I'm not mistaken, they are fractions of a penny per play).

    Downloading music without paying is generally illegal with some exceptions.

    Singolda has done a wonderful job on my new CD.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    Great Job on the Meme!

    Few questions:

    The 250 miles ride, that was over how long?

    Why is riding with an Ipod hazardous?

    Do you listen to music while you ride?

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger J. "יהוא בן יהושפט בן נמשי" Izrael said…

    "is required to get permission" - That's a big chiddush for me - I certainly didn't know that. In other words, every time an album containing a cover, the composer gets 9.1 cents? Heck, I guess Bob Dyaln did good with GNR's cover... sounds strange to me though, especially in the digital music era. Does this mean that ol' Joan Beaz still gets money from Priest for "Diamonds & Rust"? what about live music?

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Jacob:

    The Alyn Ride is over 5 days. It's usually between 250 and 350 miles, depending on the course.

    Yehu:

    I was also surprised, but, according to my IP lawyer, who is at a major New York law firm, you can't simply record a song; you need permission (we all know this is not always observed). Yes, 9.1 cents per printed CD.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Why is riding with an Ipod hazardous?

    Do you listen to music while you ride?

    Jacob:

    Riding with an Ipod is always dangerous. In the context of the Alyn ride it is positively hazardous. There are packs of riders routinely riding at speeds of 20 mph or more, passing each other constantly. The downhills can get to 40 mph or more. Even the huge climbs are made dangerous by riders with ipods since they can be weaving in front of you and don't hear you when you call out.

    I NEVER listen to music when I ride my bike. I limit music to riding my spin bike.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home