MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More on Covers: A Poll

The Anchorite asks:

Speaking of covers...

I know that you have mentioned this before, any chance of some Michael Shapiro covers on the new CD?

I know that his particular brand of Judasim isnt exactly, er, "mainstream", but his songs - a diffrent story, from the soul to the soul.

Imagine, Avraham Rosenblum covering "v'erastich li"... I'm sure you can see the possibilites
I can indeed see the possibilities. However, my new CD project doesn't lend itself to that.

In fact, I once considered devoting an entire CD to Michael Shapiro covers but was advised against it by people whose opinions I value.

I have not dismissed the idea of covering individual songs of his in some of my future projects (May Hashem give me strength....and money).

So, here's where you come in. If you could cover only one song from Michael Shapiro, which would it be?

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger The Anchorite said…

    tough one, I'd like to cheat and vote for 2, one "english" song and one "hebrew" one. (since the hebrew ones will be able to "pass" better, they might even be covered by the Shiny Shoe du jour!)
    English - return home
    Hebrew - Ve'erastich Li

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would vote against return home - if it aint broke, don't fix it... really all the english songs are too good. Stick to the Hebrew songs (esp. for wider appeal ;-)

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    ms fan

    Nu? which one?

     
  • At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How 'bout Elijah & Elisha?
    ...just don't kill it, k?

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a discussion!!! I never dreamt that this would happen. It might be partially my fault.

    I'd like to see someone cover Baboon Tune. Call Joe Karduner. Love, GZB

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger yitz said…

    Oooooo, this is a real toughie. In English, I'd haveta vote for "Beyond 12 Gates." In Hebrew, either his second "Shalom Aleichem" or "Maoz Tzur". I could also hear Shlomo and/or Eitan Katz doing his "Remembering Shlomo" which has elements of RS Carlebach's "Vhayu Limshisa" in it.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    ms fan

    My goal will be not to kill anything. I think Elija and Elisha is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

    GZB

    I love Baboon Tune. Also the Harvest Tune. I'm sure Joe would be receptive. :-)

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Although, your Rebbe is on record saying that he loves "All Worlds"...

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC-We have an MP3 of Chaim Dovid & Shlomo Katz doing a very intense version of the Harvest Niggun (from the Reishit Purim Chagiga)... I join the Zaquen Mamreh (GZB) in praying for Yosef Karduner to cover the Baboon Tune, or for Aharon Razel to do another calypso version of "Waken"... have a good trip- Levite Shlepper

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger NekudaTova said…

    Eliyahu & Elisha is absolutely one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. And I don't mean just Jewish songs. He takes those few beautiful pesukim from Melachim and has the perfect blend of a haunting and moving tune. It's almost like even if you didn't understand the words, you already know that this is a life changing event in someone's world. It's beautiful, and I am not sure anyone should try doing a cover of it....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home