MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, June 11, 2007

Aaron Razel's New CD

DISCLAIMER: Aaron Razel is a good friend, his new CD has, in addition to 11 new songs, the two songs he recorded for my CD, and I am currently working very closely with him on my next CD project. So, you can take everything I say below with a grain of salt. Or not.

The good news about Aaron Razel's music is that there is virtually no chance that any shiny shoe singer would even attempt to appropriate any of his songs. Those performers are far too short on talent, originality or creativity to attempt that.

His new CD, Connected To You, is in a class by itself and cannot be touched by the hoi poloi. I have only had a chance to listen to it a couple of times but it is so original and refreshing and can barely be compared to anything else out there in Jewish music.

And, unlike most Jmusic, most of Aaron's tunes are put to his own stunning poetry; there are only a few that are based on tefilos.

At this point, a few songs stand out. Ohr Chaim, Lecha Dodi (which will probably never be sung in shul on a Friday night (other than by Aaron) because it is way too complex), Shabbat at Last (sung very simply and accompanied by the sweet voice of a young boy) and the Krembo Song, a hysterical ode to the Krembo (Can you eat a Krembo on Shabbos if all you want is either the cream or the biscuit?). All in all a delight even at this early stage (Aaron's CDs have all grown on me the more I listen to them).

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MoC, I am only into Aaron's music because of YOUR CD. I love his song on your CD and when this new CD came out I had to hear it. I am in love with this CD. There are so many great CD's right now I feel overwhelmed by the talent out there. I plan on reviewing this too. Right now my favorites are Connected to You and Krembo.

    I don't know if you like your music a little heavier, but you have to hear HaMakor. It's musically brilliant.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I second your review. Aaron's new CD is the best disk I've listened to since... Aaron's previous CD. Part of his genius is that he can appeal to both adults (with depth) and kids (with catchiness) so he's been getting a lot of play during car rides. My kids compelled me to go buy some Krembos (with mixed results).
    Arutz 7 has a video of the Krembo song (http://www.inn.co.il/TV on the Tarbut tab).

    The last couple weeks I've largely been alternating between Aaron's disk and Shivi Keller's (Ein Od Milvado) latest.
    http://www.israel-music.com/nobody_besides_him/

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger megapixel said…

    As a public service message, all you guys out there,especially the ones who spend alot of time online, check out this great website
    tosfos.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home