MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Flats

UPDATED: AT JACOB DA JEW'S REQUEST, A PRIMER ON FIXING ROAD BIKE FLAT TIRES.

If you are going to ride a bike seriously, one of the first things you need to learn is how to change a flat. Flats happen no matter what precautions you take. You can have Kevlar tires and keep the air pressure appropriately high, you will still get flat tires from time to time.

When I started, it would take me at least a half hour, sometimes more, to change a flat. I dreaded flats. Everything was difficult. Getting the tire off the rim, getting the new tube to stay in the tire, and, especially, getting the tire back onto the rim.

Last night I was working on my bike, adding a carbon water cage (less than 25 grams), when I noticed my rear tire was flat.

I changed the tire in 14 minutes from start to finish. While not exactly Bruce from Chicago (penultimate paragraph), I was pretty proud given my general lack of facility with anything mechanical.

While I still don't look forward to flats, at least I no longer worry about them.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    Dude! I can totally relate.

    Thanks to my Armadillo tires, I've only gotten one flat. Ever.

    When I did get that one flat, I had a patch kit and small pump that I carry with me but did not manage to fix it.

    I rode home for 15 miles without fixing it.

    Is there a webpage or manual or small pocket book that you can recommend to carry with me in case I need to change my tire?

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    I'm not sure I understand. Did you have a spare tube? I never try to repair a tube, I just throw them out (unless I'm out of spares; I usually ride with two).

    I will scope out a website that explains what to do. Riding on a flat will kill your rim.

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    At the time, I left my spare at home. So I tried to patch it up. I also carry levers.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    Thanks for the primer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home